Canada Starts Program Terms & Conditions
Canada Starts (the “Program”) is a $200,000 grant fund program coordinated by RBC Ventures Inc. (“RBC Ventures”), Staples Canada Inc., Shopify Inc., and Moneris Solutions Corporation (each, a “Grant Party”, collectively, the “Grant Parties”) and administered by RBC Ventures. The Program is designed to provide financial support to aspiring Canadian entrepreneurs. There will be a total of 40 recipients who will each receive up to a maximum of CAD $5,000 (each, a “Grant”).
- APPLICATION PERIOD.
The Program application period begins September 15, 2020 at 12:01 am EST and ends October 15, 2020 at 8:00 pm EST (“Application Period”).
To be eligible to receive a Grant, Program you must submit an application during the Application Period, satisfy all of the following criteria and comply with all other Program Terms & Conditions:
- You are a Canadian resident
- You are at least the legal of age of majority in your province or territory of residence
- You are an aspiring entrepreneur with a great idea for a business in Canada.
- You must not be a director of an incorporated company or otherwise be operating your own business in Canada as of September 1, 2020.
By submitting an application to the Program and providing an email address, you grant RBC Ventures express permission to send you emails related to the Grant, including notification of selection for a Grant.
- HOW TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION.
Please complete the online application available here during the Application Period. You will be asked to provide information that includes:
- Contact information including first name, last name, business name, province, and email address.
- A high-level overview of your business idea and what your business will do
- A brief summary of how your business will use the Grant
- A completed business plan using the following template here
Applications must include all required information in order to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be processed. You are only permitted to make one application under the Program. Once received by RBC Ventures, all applications will be at all times the property of RBC Ventures and will not be returned to you. RBC Ventures may at any time request, and you must provide, proof of your identity and qualification under the above eligibility criteria.
You acknowledge and agree that the Grant Parties’ acceptance, receipt and review of your Application is subject to the following conditions:
- The disclosure of your business idea made in your application, and any ideas, inventions, methodologies, designs and other concepts (“Ideas”) is not made in confidence or on the basis of any confidential relationship; and
- The Grant Parties will have no obligation whatsoever with regard to the Ideas disclosed to the Grant Parties.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA.
Applicants that meet eligibility criteria noted above will not automatically receive funding. The evaluation process involves two phases. Successful applicants must meet the evaluation criteria of both phases to receive the full Grant of $5,000.
A selection committee composed of representatives for the Grant Parties will confidentially review all applications on the basis of the Phase One criteria noted below and in its sole discretion will select recipients (“Successful Applicants”) of the initial grant funding of $2,500 (“First Tranche”). Priority consideration will be given to applicants who identify as a visible minority or Aboriginal/Indigenous person. All decisions of the selection committee are final.
Phase One evaluation criteria include:
- The quality of the idea or concept for a new business
- The quality and detail of the responses regarding how the grant funding will be used
- The quality and detail found in the completed business plan template
- The extent to which an application addresses at least one (1) of the following guiding principles
- Community: How well the business will benefit the local community, with consideration given to whether this community is currently underserved and how the business plans to integrate into the landscape.
- Impact: The type and extent of business impact, including: job creation, economic stimulus, improving quality of life, or supporting a specific cause or social issue.
- Innovation: The originality of the business model or concept. The business does not need to be completely new to fulfill this requirement; it can present a unique solution or offering in a current industry.
By January 31st 2021, Successful Applicants must submit the additional information noted below to be eligible to receive additional grant funding in the amount of $2,500 (“Second Tranche”). Any Successful Applicant that does not submit such additional information will not receive the Second Tranche:
- Evidence that the Successful Applicant has established an online presence for their business (i.e business website, social media presence for the business, and/or Google MyBusiness Page) and
- Evidence that the Successful Applicant has registered a business name (either provincially or federally)
- SELECTION OF SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS & AWARDING GRANTS.
Successful Applicants of Phase One will be notified by email no later than November 1, 2020. Successful Applicants who also satisfy the requirements of Phase Two will be notified by email no later than February 1, 2021. Grants will be provided to Successful Applicants using the payment method agreed upon between the Successful Applicant and RBC. Each installment of the Grant will be provided as soon as reasonably possible following notification of success.
As a condition of accepting a Grant, Successful Applicants acknowledge that RBC Ventures may require them to sign a release and agree (without further notice or compensation) to the use of their name, business information, and other application information in any publicity or advertisement about the Program issued by RBC Ventures and/or the Grant Parties in their discretion.
- GENERAL TERMS.
RBC Ventures may create statistical and anonymized reports, analysis and predictive models, rules and insights using information you have submitted with your application. Aggregated reports may be shared with other businesses. The information in these reports is not personal and cannot be used to identify you.
By submitting an application, you agree that all information provided in connection with your application is true, accurate and complete, and you agree to be bound by these terms and by the decisions of the selection committee and RBC Ventures, which are final and binding in all respects. RBC Ventures has the absolute discretion to determine eligibility of any applicant under this Program and any payment due under this Program.
As a condition of application, RBC Ventures reserves the right to conduct a background check on any potential Successful Applicant and the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any applicant based on such background check if in its sole discretion it determines that awarding the Grant to such applicant might reflect negatively on the image or reputation of RBC Ventures or any of the Grant Parties.
By submitting an application pursuant to the Program, you hereby waive and release the Grant Parties and each of their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns from any and all liability, claims, losses or damages, whether direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, or punitive, and regardless of whether the claim or action is based in contract, tort (including negligence), or any other legal or equitable grounds, that may arise in connection with the Program, your submission of an application, your participation in the Program, and/or the granting and use/misuse of all or any portion of the Grant.
RBC Ventures may suspend, amend or cancel the Program, any of the Program terms or any applicant’s participation in the Program at any time.
Applicants who violate these terms or engage in any conduct that is detrimental to RBC Ventures, its parent or affiliates, the Program or another applicant (determined by RBC Ventures in its sole discretion) may be disqualified at any time.
RBC Ventures will not be responsible for applications that are lost, misdirected or delayed. RBC Ventures does not assume any responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate capture of application information, technical malfunctions, human or other technical error.
In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the Program Terms and Conditions and any disclosures or other statements contained in any Program-related materials, including, but not limited to: the application form, Program website, French version of these Terms and Conditions, and/or any other advertising; the terms and conditions of these English Program Terms and Conditions shall prevail, govern and control to the fullest extent permitted by law.
This Program is subject to the laws of the Province of Ontario and all applicable federal laws and regulations, and is void in all geographic locations where prohibited by law.